Sunday, April 22, 2018

Facial recognition technology finds missing men

Facial recognition
A mentally ill man in China who has been missing for over a year can finally reunite with his family after being identified by a facial surveillance network or Facial Recognition. The 31-year-old man has been in the hospital since January 2017 after authorities found him confused in a state in Chongqing railway station.

The hospital clerk could not identify the man. However, after they contacted the facial recognition company, they finally found out who the man was.

By hooking his face photo with public records, the technology company discovered the man was from Liangshan Yi prefecture in Sichuan, a few hundred miles away from where he was found. The man, who has not been named, then reunited with his brother.

The use of face recognition technology in China has spread rapidly in recent years, especially for law enforcement purposes. One application for such software that is currently being explored is to capture and jaywalker, in both large and small cities. As part of the scheme, surveillance cameras or smart eyewear will catch ongoing people, once AI's powerful face recognition technology identifies them.


Notices and fines will be sent to violators via text message. The effectiveness of facial recognition for police was proven last week after a fugitive was identified from a crowd of about 50,000 people at a pop concert in Nanchang in Jiangxi province.

"(The Fugitive) was allegedly involved in economic crimes and registered in the national online system he was very surprised and had a blank face when we arrested him," said a police officer.
 

Samsung and Google are the two companies that participate in bidding for Nokia Health

Nokia Health
When Nokia acquired Withings, a French company known to the public thanks to health-related connected devices such as smart sleep systems, activity trackers, and blood pressure controllers, Nokia promised the start of an exciting new chapter in Nokia Technologies' history.

Two years later, the Finnish company is looking for a buyer for a division that has now changed its name to Nokia Health. The French newspaper LeMonde reports that companies are now competing for the health business.


A number of such companies include Google, Samsung, as well as companies based in France and in other European regions. Nokia Technologies purchased Withings in 2016, with a transaction value of US $ 192 million, but there is still no information regarding the proposed price offer for Nokia Health.

Google and Samsung became one of the bidders, LeMonde believes that one of the French companies will occupy a major position, due to the importance of technology sector Artificial Intelligence (AI) in the region.

Meanwhile last year, Nokia announced on its quarterly financial report, Withings assets worth about EUR140 million or the US $ 172 million.


This underlies the prediction that Nokia will offer Nokia Health at a lower price than it paid for two years ago.

Meanwhile, the information circulated that HMD plans to bring a new version of Nokia 2010. This phone will not be announced until 2019 to mark the 25th anniversary of the model, which was first launched in 1994.
 

Twitter bans Kaspersky Labs advertise on his services

Kaspersky Lab logo
Twitter bans antivirus and cybersecurity providers from Moscow, Kaspersky Labs put an ad on its service on the basis of allegations that Kaspersky has links with Russian intelligence.

"This decision is based on our determination that Kaspersky Labs operates with business models that conflict with Twitter advertising rules," a Twitter spokeswoman told Gizmodo.


"Kaspersky Lab can still be a user on our social media, according to Twitter rules."

In a letter addressed to CEO of Twitter, Jack Dorsey, CEO of Eugene Kaspersky admitted confused over this decision.

"One thing I know for sure is we never violated written or unwritten rules and our business model is the same as the business model used across the cybersecurity industry: We provide products and services to users, and they pay us."


"You will only hurt yourself when you follow geopolitical issues and refuse to promote content on the basis of false pretenses contrary to your own business needs (how do we mention that you are rejecting money from clients doing business according to ethics)?"

In an email to Gizmodo, Twitter quoted a memo from the Department of Homeland Security on Kaspersky Lab, which said the US government was worried about a connection between "some Kaspersky executives with intelligence agencies and other Russian government agencies".

In addition, Twitter also follows Russian regulations allowing Russian intelligence agencies to "force Kaspersky to provide assistance to tap into communications across Russia's networks." Eugene Kaspersky insists that the product of his company is a tool to tap communications and data in the US.   

An analyst predicts Apple will stop production of the iPhone X this year

iPhone X
An analyst predicts Apple will halt production of the iPhone X this year because sales are not as expected. But the estimate was certainly not approved by some parties.

The indication of the iPhone X is over is the excessive supply of TSMC-made chips because Apple does not buy enough for the iPhone X. That's according to Neil Campling, head of Mirabaud Securities, indicating iPhone X is in the final production.

"There was a decrease in iPhone X orders and inventory problems at TSMC which reached a record high because the iPhone X is dead," he said, adding that the iPhone X was not selling well because the price was too expensive.


Todd Haselton, the CNBC technology columnist, disagrees with Neil's opinion. According to him, iPhone X may get an upgrade this year, but not dead. Moreover, Apple several times calling the iPhone X sales just fine.

"iPhone X is our most popular mobile phone though it has not been shipped until November," said Apple CEO Tim Cook in February. Combined with sales of the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, Apple claims a record revenue in the fourth quarter of 2017.

Todd assesses the decline in demand on the TSMC chip not only because Apple decreases orders but because of various factors. In addition to the fact that new mobile phone sales are generally down, requests from TSMC clients such as MediaTek are also indicated to decline.


In addition to Todd, Patrick Moorhead analyst from Moor Insights & Strategy also assesses the death of iPhone X does not make sense. "The words of the dead X iPhone make no sense," he said.

"iPhone X is Apple's most expensive phone and the company sells it more than any other phone so I say it's a success Apple will update iPhone X but will not kill it If there is a supplier of components that may be affected by other suppliers," he said.
 

Related news:

Saturday, April 21, 2018

LG has difficulty meeting OLED screen requests for Apple

LG logo
Apple's attempt to not completely rely on it as a screen supplier for the iPhone seems to be having trouble.

Apple's efforts to make LG Display as an OLED display manufacturer for the iPhone has encountered problems related to production. Apple doubts that LG can produce enough screens to become the second OLED display supplier for the iPhone.


Over the past few months, analysts have mentioned that Apple has to find an OLED display supplier for an iPhone other than Samsung. Currently, Apple does use OLED screen for iPhone X screen which was launched last year.

The reason Apple is looking for a supplier other than Samsung is that if the South Korean company becomes the only OLED display supplier for Apple, then they can control the price of the screen that Apple bought.

LG re-use OLED display for V30. In addition, LG has also supplied OLED screen for Google Pixel 2 XL. Unfortunately, the experience of using OLED screens on Pixel 2 XL is inconsistent.


Indeed, LG is a leader in making OLED TV screens. Even so, they seem to be difficult to bring the same screen quality into the smartphone. 

United States government prohibits ZTE from buying hardware or software from US companies

ZTE China flag
ZTE is prohibited from purchasing products such as hardware or software from US companies. The reason is that they did not do what they had promised when they pleaded guilty to illegally sending devices from the United States to Iran and North Korea.

The US Department of Commerce said ZTE still gives bonuses to employees who ship illegally, although they say they will not. Not only that, of the 35 senior employees involved in the illegal activities, only 4 people were dismissed.

Now, ZTE issued a statement regarding the US decision. ZTE said it was trying to comply with US regulations and has spent a lot of resources to comply with export regulations.

"This prohibition will not only affect the survival and development of ZTE but also disrupt the business of all of ZTE's partners, including many US companies," ZTE said.


Further, ZTE says they may bring the matter to court to "protect the rights and interests of our company, our workers, and our shareholders and also to fulfill our obligations and responsibilities to our global customers, users, partners, and suppliers."

A leaked internal memo indicates that ZTE has made a team crisis to address the issue.

Meanwhile, the British National Cyber Security Center has issued a letter to telecom operators, warning them not to use equipment or services from ZTE on the grounds of national security concerns.


The regulatory body said one of the reasons they issued the letter was due to ZTE's response to US sanctions. Another reason is that they are concerned about "external interference" in their domestic systems from China.

Google stops development of Allo and shifts the focus to a new service called Chat

Google logo
Google is discontinuing the development of Allo's communication app for Android, and most of the team behind this app is switching to the task of developing a new app called Chat. This app is called to be Google's latest effort in unifying messaging services on Android phones.

For information, Google's first attempt at bringing together messaging services on Android phones is Google Talk, then Hangouts, and followed by Allo and Duo that separate services for video and text. Now Google stops Allo and is replaced by Chat.


The Chat project is called will use the RCS text messaging system, or a richer media standard that still works on device devices that the operator has tried, to deliver good text messaging tools.

That way, when someone receives a message but does not have the Chat app, they will accept it as a regular text message and can answer it.

This problem becomes a problem that must be faced by operators, who have Chat program on their network. But Google is reportedly in the middle of a discussion to bring this capability to their network communication service customers.


With the availability of various Android devices, using the RCS system is expected to be the only one considered feasible to deliver integrated messaging services on Google's mobile operating system platform.

The built-in Android Messages app owned by most phones is considered to be a good start.

Having a number of advantages such as having universal support and will allow users to enjoy a similar chat experience of sharing other rich media content, unfortunately, this RCS system has one major disadvantage that triggers the fears of many parties, namely the absence of encryption features in messages.

Related news:

Apple CEO Tim Cook denied Apple would combine iOS and macOS

Tim Cook
At the end of last year, Bloomberg reported that Apple will combine two operating systems of his work, iOS, and MacOS. This will allow Apple to create an app version that will work on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

The app is reported to work on touch-sailing devices or computers that use the mouse and keyboard and is rumored to be available to Apple device users earlier this year. But this information is disputed by Apple CEO Tim Cook.


Cook explains why Apple keeps iOS and macOS apart, and does not realize that strategy. Cook mentioned that both of Apple's operating systems are just as great, as Apple keeps trying to bring the best support for both. Combining iOS and macOS called Cook will require Apple to make adjustments and compromises.

Cook claims to be a company, Apple will probably become more efficient in the future. But merging the two operating systems does not mean Apple's way of doing that efficiency.


Meanwhile, Apple strives to provide a medium that allows users to change the world, or express their interest and creativity.

Merging these two operating systems is also called Cook will limit the expression capabilities of the user's interest and creativity, making it unwanted by consumers of Apple devices. This is in contrast to Bloomberg's report in December 2017.

Bloomberg said that Apple is developing a plan titled Marzipan, which combines the basic code of macOS and iOS. But after Cook's rebuttal, Apple is expected to allow iOS and macOS developers to share equipment.

It is predicted to give iOS developers an incentive to create applications for macOS. Not allowing iOS and macOS users to download universal apps, this will help Apple fix the Mac App Store, which until now has not experienced success similar to the iOS App Store.
 

Related news:

Friday, April 20, 2018

Grasshopper application from Google Area 120 incubator makes it easy to learn coding through mobile

Grasshopper application
Google's internal incubator, Area 120 just released its new creation, a mobile app for learning to create code or coding called Grasshopper.

Currently, the app will teach users how to write code using JavaScript via their iPhone or Android. The purpose of this application is to make users understand the basics of programming so that they can take the next step in learning to make the program.


Grasshopper also has a place that allows users to create interactive animations. After understanding the basic concepts of programming, users will be able to learn more about making the program, either by taking online classes or following bootcamp.

TechCrunch reported, just like other 120 Area projects, Grasshopper was developed by a small team at Google. They make these apps because they do have a personal interest.


"Coding is a very important capability and we want to make a way for everyone to learn how to create a program even when they are busy," write the Grasshopper developers on the About Us page.

"We make Grasshopper to help people like you to learn how to create programs in an easy and fun way."

Area 120 has been in existence for over two years. However, Google does not announce its existence on a large scale. One of Google's goals to make this internal incubator is to find the next breakthrough product.
Another reason is to get employees out of Google to develop their own projects.

Researchers developed a lie detector application

lie detector
Researchers are looking at ways to make smartphones a lie detector tool. Computer experts at the University of Copenhagen are developing algorithms that can detect honesty and lies by analyzing how you swipe or tap your smartphone.

When you lie, the interaction will take longer and you will do more hand gestures when compared to the interactions when you are honest, according to a research report to be released today.

This algorithm named Veritaps will display a green check icon when a truthful statement goes into the smartphone and will show a red question mark icon when it detects a suspicious question. The application provides an opportunity for the recipient of the message to request more information on the sender of the message. Unfortunately, this trial app can only be used on Android and is not available to the general public.


Aske Mottelson, one of the authors of this report, says that Veritaps ability to detect lies has similar concepts to polygraphs. The app has limitations and should not be used in courtrooms or other situations that require high accuracy, he said.

Veritaps makers do three studies to find out how lies affect user interaction with mobile devices. They find, liars usually take longer to answer it.

After a vote by the United States Senate decided James Bridenstine as the leader of NASA

Jim Bridenstine
NASA has a new boss. Yesterday, a vote by the US Senate ruled Jim Bridenstine, an Oklahoma Republican congressman, to lead the space agency.

Bridenstine won thin. A total of 50 members of the Republican Senate supported the candidate from President Donald Trump, while 47 Democrats and two independent members disagreed with the appointment of Bridenstine.


"I am proud of this opportunity and once again, I am grateful to President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence for their confidence in me," Bridenstine said.

"I can not wait to work with a great team at NASA to achieve the vision that the President envisioned so America can regain the lead in space."

This means that NASA is one of America's favorite institutions to finally have a leader after former astronaut Charles Bolden resigned more than a year ago. For six decades, this is the longest time when the NASA leader's position is empty.


One reason some senators disagree over the appointment of Bridenstine is that of the comments he made about climate change. In 2013, he said that "global temperatures have not gone up since 10 years ago".

In an interview with Aerospace America, Bridenstine said he "does not mind to learn about the climate."
 

Blue Origin might take tourists into space in 2018

Blue Origin Bezos
Blue Origin CEO Bob Smith said that it is possible, the tourists could go into space with Jeff Bezos's space company this year.

On CNBC, Smith said that he was quite optimistic when asked about whether space travel might be realized before the end of the year.


"We think we still have a chance to make it happen this year," Smith said. "One thing we want to make sure we do is we will do it when we are ready and we want to make sure it is entirely safe for our passengers."

In late December, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos shared a video showing the inside of the Origin rocket, complete with a doll named Mannequin Skywalker in it. The video shows how it feels to go into space with Blue Origin.


Capsules are being developed to bring tourists into space has an area of 161 square meters. The capsule can hold up to six people, according to information on the Blue Origin website. Mentioned, the capsule is "big enough so you can fly freely."

The capsule will carry its passengers 100 miles above Earth using a rocket before escaping from the rocket. The capsule will again land on Earth with a parachute.